Total Pageviews

Monday, November 7, 2011

Asombrado

Asombrado is a word in spanish that means amazed.   I often feel amazed, almost overwhelmed at the fullness of life energy in children .   Just today one of my patients came in, a girl of 9, spirited and comfortable in herself, direct with me, full of plans--truly something beautiful to see.  It reminded me of  a book I read years ago called The Girl Within, and the notion was this: that girls are especially free and full of ideals around 9-12 year old--and when women face difficulties in their adult years, they draw on the strengths of this period to carry on.   Ever since I read this book, I've have a special appreciation for girls of this age--girls who are free to feel their strengths, before they get hit with becoming sexualized and concerned with looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment